Apple just released new iOS 4.3 firmware. Jailbreakers and unlockers should wait for new tools. Everybody else will benefit. iOS 4.3 has Safari speed improvements, AirPlay features, hotspot, Home sharing, a new option for customizing the iPad’s side switch to serve as a mute toggle or screen orientation lock and much more:
This update contains new features and improvements, including the following:
* Personal Hotspot
- Share iPhone 4 cellular data with up to 5 devices (combination of up to 3 Wi-Fi, 3 Bluetooth, and 1 USB)
* iTunes Home Sharing
- Play music, movies, and TV shows from a shared iTunes library on a Mac or PC (requires iTunes 10.2)
* New AirPlay features
- Play videos from the Photos app including the Camera Roll album, iTunes previews, enabled third-party apps and websites on Apple TV
- Play slideshows from Photos on Apple TV using transitions available on Apple TV
* HD video out using the Apple Digital AV Adapter
- View 720p HD videos from Videos app, iPod app, Photos, YouTube, Safari, Keynote, and enabled third-party apps on an HDMI display
* Ping features
- Push notifications for comments and follow requests
- Post and Like songs directly from the Now Playing screen
- Parental controls
* New Settings
- Messages setting for number of times to repeat an alert
- iPad side switch setting to lock screen rotation or mute audio notifications and sound effects
* Single tap conference call dialing with a pause to send a passcode
The iPhone Dev team has just released the second beta of their untethered RedSn0w jailbreak (the first beta has been released few hours ago and has more bugs).
New jailbreak is called “Jailbreak Monte”, as it uses new “backup method”. The iPhone Dev Team warns that their beta-version is not a general release and you should back up all your media before using it. There are also other limitations and bugs:
The beta is limited to iPod touch 4G, iPad and iPhone4;
The team asks not to participate in testing if you rely on the ultrasn0w carrier unlock;
The bluetooth functionality is disabled due to sandbox problem;
iPod player works only on iPod touch 4G;
To use this version of jailbreak Cydia should have your 4.2b3 SHSH blobs saved on file and following:
“You must already have the usbmuxd software installed and running on your Mac (this requirement will eventually go away too). The correct invocation of the relay is just as that page says: “./tcprelay.py -t 22:2222”. If the relay isn’t installed or running correctly by the time the redsn0w ramdisk has started, you’ll need to restore to stock FW again to try it again. Please test it beforehand to save yourself some time!”
Now, if you’re ready to apply this version of jailbreak, upi can download redsn0w 0.9.7 beta here.
After downloading and applying just select “Jailbreak Monte” to try out the untether.
The iPhone Dev team asks to test it after a fresh restore in order to keep track of the variables involved. Be careful!
By the way, iPodUplink has posted a video where you can see how to jailbreak your device with the latest version of redsn0w:
Apple has released iOS 4.1 for the iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPod Touch 2G, iPod Touch 3G and iPod touch 4G.
iOS 4.1 enables the Game Center social gaming network, support for High Dynamic Range (HDR) photos, and HD video uploading to YouTube. The update also fixes several bugs, including proximity sensor issues, performance issues and Bluetooth problems.
Full official changelog and download links are after the break:
● Game Center
- Send and receive friend requests
- Invite friends to multi-player games over the Internet
- Play multi-player games by auto-matching with other players
- View LEaderboards and Achievements
- Discover new games from friends
● High dynamic range (HDR) photos on iPhone 4
● Support for TV show rentals on iTunes
● Ability to upload HD videos to YouTube and MobileMe over Wi-Fi on iPhone 4
● Additional support for AVRCP-supported accessories, including next & previous track control
● FaceTime calling directly from Favorites
● Bug fixes, including
- iPhone 4 proximity sensor performance
- iPhone 4G performance
- Nike+ iPod fixes
- Bluetooth improvements
Game Center requires iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPod touch 2G or later. HDR photos and HD video upload requires iPhone 4.
Apple released new iPhone 3.1 and iPod Touch 3.1.1 firmwares. Here is a quick changelog:
- Improved syncing for music, movies, TV shows, podcasts, and photos
- iTunes U content organization
- Redeem iTunes Gift Cards, codes, and certificates in the App Store
- Display available iTunes account credits in the App Store and iTunes Store
- Save video from Mail and MMS into Camera Roll
- Option to “Save as new clip” when trimming a video on iPhone 3GS
- Better iPhone 3G Wi-Fi performance when Bluetooth is turned on
- Remotely lock iPhone with a passcode via MobileMe
- Use Voice Control on iPhone 3GS with Bluetooth headsets
- Paste phone numbers into the keypad
- Option to use Home button to turn on accessibility features on iPhone 3GS
- Warn when visiting fraudulent websites in Safari (anti-phishing)
- Improved Exchange calendar syncing and invitation handling
- Fixes issue that cause some app icons to display incorrectly
iPhone OS 3.1 is available and is a free download for iPhone customers. iPod Touch users already running iPhone OS 3.0 can update to 3.1.1 for free. iPod Touch users running earlier firmware versions can upgrade to OS 3.1.1 for $4.95.
Users of jailbreaked and unlocked devices – do not update, wait for utilities updates!!